Once you give this lentil burger a try, you will be in love with it! It’s the perfect mixture of lentils, carrots, and zucchini spiced up with some onions and my favorite veggie seasoning.
I love preparing veggie burgers, especially when we want something light and easy to consume. They are the perfect escape from the regular ground beef burgers.
Besides this lentil burger, I also like to make a zucchini carrot veggie burger, which is eggless. But that should be another recipe! I love them both. Equally, even dough, they are both different in flavor and texture.
Why this lentil burger so good?
- These lentil burgers have a couple of special ingredients that makes them taste so unique, give a great texture and specific flavor.
- It doesn’t require a lot of time to make if you have the lentils ready.
- It’s a yummy replacement for the everyday ground beef burger.
What ingredients are in these lentil burgers?
- Canned or boiled lentils, french green lentils
- Grated zucchini, carrot, and onion
- One small egg
- All-purpose flour or any other gluten-free flour such as chickpea/oat flour
- Vegeta – vegetable seasoning which adds a lot of flavor to everything (i recommend having this because it gives a special flavor to the burgers)
How to make these lentil burger?
- Boil the lentils in salted water or use canned ones.
- Drain the lentils in a strainer and then pat them with a paper towel to get the lentils dey.
- Mash with a potato masher or fork, or use a food processor. In another bowl, grate the carrot, zucchini, and onion. Fry these 3 ingredients in a preheated pan for about 5 minutes.
- Combine the zucchini, onion, carrot, and lentils in a bowl.
- Then add the egg, flour, breadcrumbs, and seasoning. Mix everything.
- Divide the mixture into two and flour the hands, and form patties. Add oil to a pan and fry the burgers for 5- minutes on each side.
Tips and variations of this recipe:
- Make sure that the lentils are well-drained and almost entirely dry.
- If you feel like the burgers are still soft, add some more flour or breadcrumbs.
different variations / different ingredients that can be used:
- The all-purpose flour can be switched with oat flour or any other gluten-free flour.
- The egg can be replaced with a mixture of flax seeds and water.
Zucchini Lentil BurgerCourse: Main CourseCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
This zucchini lentil burger is the perfect mixture of lentils, carrot, and zucchini spiced up with onions and my favorite veggie seasoning.
- burger patties:
200g cooked lentils
4 tbsp breadcrumbs
4 tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
50g oil for frying
1 tsp Vegeta (vegetable seasoning)
4 burger buns
4big slices tomato
2 tbsp mayonnaise
2 lettuce leaves
4 slices of cheddar cheese
- burger patties:
- Grate the zucchini, onion, and carrot. Add those in a preheated pan with 3 tbsp olive oil, over medium heat, and fry for 5-7 minutes or until they get soft on size.
- In a bowl, add the drained lentils and mash them with a potato masher or fork (a food processor would also work, but only pulsing the lentils).
- NOTE: I don’t recommend fully mashing the lentils. The best texture would be having half of the lentils mashed and the other half having almost whole lentils. Don’t over mash the lentils, to the burgers have better texture.
- Add the zucchini, onion, and carrot to the lentils. Plus, combine the egg, flour, breadcrumbs, and seasoning all together.
- Mix everything well, divide the mixture in two, and with floured hands form the burgers.
- In a pan, preheat 4 tbsp oil and add the burgers. Fry on both sides for 7-8 minutes. Or until they get golden brown. Add the cheddar cheese on top 1 minute before taking them out of the heat.
- In another pan add tortilla without any oil. Fry on both sides until it gets brown and crunchy like chips.
- Cut the burger buns on half, add some butter to them and add them on a grill pan until they get crispy.
- Slice two tomato slices, and two lettuce leaves.
- Spread the sauce on the bottom, add a slice crispy tortilla cut in a size of the burger buns then add the lettuce and over the lettuce add the lentil burgers, then add the slices of tomato, a couple of onion rings add some more sauce on top if you prefer and cover with the other part of the bun.