Super cheesy pizza pockets filled with pizza sauce, melty cheese, ham or other smoked meat or salami of choice and wrapped in flaky layers of phyllo dough.
Servings: 4 pizza pockets
- 1 egg
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp yogurt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup 120g white cheddar cheese or any other cheese of choice
- 4 slices ham slices or other smoked meat or salami of choice
- 4 tbsp pizza sauce marinara or ketchup
- 6 phyllo sheets cut in half through the long side
Assemble the pizza pockets:
Preheat the oven to 200C/390F. Add six phyllo sheets on top of each other and cut them in half crosswise. Cover the phyllo sheets with a towel and take sheets out as needed.
Add the baking powder to the egg mixture and whisk until fully incorporated. For each pizza pocket, you'll need 3 phyllo sheets, and for each phyllo sheet, we'll need around a tablespoon of the egg mixture. Leave 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture for brushing the tops of the pizza pockets before baking.
Brush one phyllo sheet evenly with a tablespoon of the mixture. Repeat this step with the other 2 phyllo sheets. (The phyllo sheets should be placed lengthwise.)
Once you add all three sheets and they are all brushed with the mixture, add a tablespoon of the pizza sauce at the bottom of the phyllo, then add the ham and finish off with the cheese.
Fold both sides of the phyllo toward the middle and begin folding the bottom until you reach the top. Repeat these steps for the remaining pizza pockets.
Brush the tops with the remaining egg mixture and sprinkle sesame seeds and optionally add some more grated cheese on top.
Bake in preheated oven for 25-30minutes or until perfectly golden brown. Serve immediately.
- I like to make smaller pizza pockets, so I cut the phyllo sheets in half. You can use whole phyllo sheets and brush them with around 2 tbsp of the egg mixture to make two bigger pizza pockets or double the recipe to make more.
- Phyllo sheets tend to dry out quickly. Cover them with a towel and take sheets out as necessary when working with phyllo.
- Feel free to switch the fillings to your liking: maybe skip the meat to make it vegetarian, add different sauce, add oregano inside.
- You can reheat the pizza pockets in the microwave or in a warm oven.
- If you don't eat them right away, cover the baked pizza pockets with a towel, so they don't dry out.