You’ll LOVE this savory cornbread recipe! It comes together in just one bowl, and the measurements are super simple! The inside of the cornbread is light fluffy and packed with pockets of feta, and the outside is perfectly golden brown topped with toasted seeds and more cheese! This savory cornbread is a great recipe on the go, made without buttermilk and ready in just 30 minutes.
For breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner, this savory cornbread can be enjoyed any time of the day! It’s made with simple ingredients that you can find in your local grocery store or already have in your pantry right now! The recipe consists of two types of flour – corn and all-purpose flour, both combined together create a perfect texture that’s not dense and crumbly. Then there’s the yogurt, oil, eggs, and sparkling water that make the bread super flavorful, moist, and fluffy!
The mix-ins are definitely a huge contributor to the flavor as well! My go-to’s are always cheese, toasted seeds, and spinach. The cheese can be added on the inside and on top of the cornbread, which contributes to the crispiness on top and makes the crust salty.
What is Balkan Style cornbread
This savory cornbread is not your traditional cornbread recipe! Some of the ingredients such as corn flour, all-purpose flour, eggs, and baking powder are the same, but this Balkan-style cornbread includes a few other ingredients like yogurt, sparkling water, and optional mix-ins such as cheese toasted seeds and spinach.
Balkan-style cornbread is known for the moist and fluffy inside and different add-ins inside. While the traditional one has a distinct corn flavor, this one does not include any fresh corn in the recipe.
This savory cornbread recipe is a great base for savory muffins as well – the batter is prepared the same way and just poured inside muffin cups and baked.
Why you’ll love this savory cornbread
You can’t go wrong with savory cornbread!
- Soft, moist with crispy outside – The outside gets golden and crispy, while the inside stays supremely moist and fluffy;
- Easy to make – All you have to do is pour the dry into the wet ingredients, mix, and bake;
- Great for beginer bekers – that want to experiment with new recipes. You can barely make a mistake with this easy savory cornbread recipe! And of course, it’s great for anyone else that wants easy and delicious savory cornbread;
- Keep well – the cornbread stays soft and moist fr up to 3 days if stored in airtight container. It also frezes well!
Savory cornbread recipe – step-by-step
This Balkan-style savory cornbread comes together super quickly! The batter comes together super fast, so preparing the baking pan and preheating the oven before making the batter is essential.
Preheat the oven to 200C/390F. Spray oil or baking pan with softened butter so it sticks to the pan.
- Cornbread with cheese and seeds – In a medium bowl, mix in eggs, yogurt, and sparkling water. Then pour the dry ingredients( cornflour, all-purpose flour, baking powder)in. Mix well until all the flour is incorporated. Next, pour the batter sprinkle the remaining grated feta cheese and the seeds. Bake at 200C for 25-30 minutes.
- Cornbread with spinach and cheese – Add the previosly cut spinach in a strainer and pour hot water over it. Leave it for 10-15minutes to sit, or untill the water is full drained. Mix the spinach at the end right before pouring the batter in the pan.
- Savory cornbread muffins – make the batter just like you would for the cornbread then divide the batter into 12 muffin cups and bake on 180C, 360F for 15-20 minutes.
What to serve with savory cornbread
Breakfast, brunch, or side dish for dinner – this savory cornbread is perfect for any of those! I love serving it with a big glass of yogurt, with simple fried eggs for breakfast or brunch; it’s also goes great as a side with roasted or grilled meats or just served as a snack with any kind of spread;
How to store cornbread
Storage – To keep the best texture and flavor cornbread, store the cornbread in an airtight container or ziplock bag for up to 4 days. It doesn’t have to be refrigerated as long as it’s in a cool dark spot in the kitchen.
Freezing – this savory cornbread freezes so well! Just wrap cut the bread into desired sizes, add those in a ziplock bag, and can stay frozen for up to 3 months. Making an extra batch and freezing it for later to add into breakfast, lunch boxes, or whenever you need a quick savory snack.
Reheating – Unfreeze the cornbread in the microwave or just leave them overnight or up to 3-4 hours on the kitchen counter inside a ziplock bag or airtight container.
You’ll also love to try:
Savory Cornbread Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 200 g 1 cup yogurt
- 50 g 1/4 cup oil extra virgin
- 100 g 1/2 cup sparkling water
- 160 g 1 cup cornflour
- 120 g all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt or less depending on how salty the cheese is
- 20 g 2 tbsp butter
- 100 g feta cheese crumbled
- 500 g spinach adding spinach is optional
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat then brush a 9×13 sheetpan with butter. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C, or 392 degrees F.
- In a medium/large bowl whisk in the eggs, yogurt, oil, and sparkling water.
- In another bowl mix in the all-purpose flour, cornflour, salt, and baking powder.
- Mix in the dry into the wet ingredients until everything is smooth and incprporated. You don't have to be careful to overmix the batter because it doesn't make any difference.
- Crumble or grate 2/3 or around 80 g of feta cheese with your hands and add it to the batter mix again. Add the blanched spinach along with the feta cheese.
- Pour the batter into the pan, grate the remaining cheese, sprinkle the seeds on top and transfer it to the oven.
- Bake at 200C, 390F for the first 15 minutes then lower the temperature down to 180C 355F and bake for additional 15-20 minutes.