Creamy rice pudding recipe prepared with 3 main ingredients you probably have in your kitchen right now – rice milk and sugar. Plus, sprinkled with some cinnamon on top to elevate the flavor and make it even more delicious.
DELICIOUS 3 INGREDIENT CREAMY RICE PUDDING
Rice pudding, aka sutlijash, is one of my favorite family-friendly recipes. My mother was making the best pudding ever, so here I am sharing all the tips she taught me.
Why you will love this rice pudding recipe?
- It is the best mix of flavors that you’ve ever had.
- It doesn’t overdry, and it stays light and creamy the whole time.
- This rice pudding recipe is perfect for making ahead and serving in small cups for parties and events or have it on your family dinner.
- You will have a fully ready dessert in less than 30 minutes
Best ingredients to get the creamiest pudding you’ve ever had
-there are so many different variations for rice pudding recipes over the internet. Still, personally, this is the combination of ingredients that I have tested a million times and love the most:
- Long/ medium-grain white rice – it doesn’t make a big difference
- Regular milk
- Room temperature water
- Granulated white sugar
- Powdered cinnamon
How to make rice pudding (even if it’s your first time)
Start by cleaning the rice with cold water. Preferably in a colander, so the water can go in and out. Then add the rice in a pot together with room temperature water and bring it to boil for 15 minutes.
Mix in every 2-3 minutes with a wooden spoon.
When the rice has absorbed almost all the water and cooked, add the milk and the sugar. Mix everything until the milk starts to boil. Once the liquid and the rice have thickened together (around 5 minutes cooking), transfer the pudding to your favorite medium bowl, and add the cinnamon on top.
NOTE: The pudding will thicken more once you transfer it to the bowl and it’s cooled down. So do not overcook it even if it looks like there’s still milk on top. Remember you want to have creamy and not dry rice pudding.
Dietary version of this rice pudding recipe
I’ve tried making it healthy a couple of times before, and it came out delicious. But I have to note that they are both delightful but have different tastes. I used the same measurements as in the recipe below, and I just switched the milk with coconut milk or soy milk, whatever you like most. For sweetness, I usually add stevia or brown sugar.
Creamy Cinnamon Rice Pudding
- 200g / 7 oz risotto (arborio) rice
- 350g / 12 oz water
- 150ml / 5 oz milk
- 4 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Rinse and drain the rice with room temperature water until fully clean.
- Add the rice in a pot with cold water and cook the rice for around 10 minutes or until almost all the water is absorbed and the rice is creamy. Mixing every 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cold milk and mix it with a wooden spoon. Once the milk has warmed up add 2 tbsp of sugar.
- At this point, mix the rice every minute or every 30 seconds.
- Boil for another 5-7 minutes / until you get a thick mixture and the rice is fully cooked.
- Transfer in a small bowl, sprinkle the cinnamon on top, and let it cool for 10 minutes.