Easy Pretzel Bites Recipe that everyone loves. They are salty and crunchy on the outside and soft and pillowy on the inside. Prepared with simple ingredients for pretzel bites -deliciousness. They go perfect with different sauces, which makes them perfect for parties and events.
Have you ever made pretzel bites completely from scratch at home? – Well, if not, then this is the right time! You can make them without a stand mixer or any other fancy gadget and most likely with ingredients that you have on hand right now.
They are so easy and reminds me a lot like the crispy store-bought pretzels but way better than that, I promise you!
Why are these pretzel bites so good?
- they are easy to prepare from scratch
- way better than store-bought pretzels, and kids love them
- fun to make at home and great for parties and events to make ahead and freeze
How to make pretzel bites?
1. First, prepare the dough with only 3 ingredients – all-purpose flour, warm water, and instant yeast. And knead it by hand for 4-5 minutes. Then cover the dough with a damp cloth and leave it to rise.
2.After 45 minutes, cut the dough into 2 parts, make 2 long ropes, and then cut the ropes into 1inch pieces to create pretzels.
3. Put some water to boil and add baking soda to it. Put each pretzel for 30 seconds or until they float up, then transfer them on a baking sheet and wash with egg on top, sprinkle some salt, and bake for 15 minutes.
Why do we boil pretzels in baking soda?
To get that color and crispiness on the inside of the pretzels, you have to boil them before baking. And adding the soda in the boiling water gives the extra color, specific taste, and chewy texture that you expect from pretzels. So it’s a crucial step to get the desired flavor.
Filling ideas for pretzel bites
I sometimes like to fill the pretzels in the middle to give them more flavor, but the pretzels would have to stay in the oven anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes plus from the regular baking time. Here are a couple of ways how I like to fill them:
1. With pizza filling ( add tomato sauce and grated cheddar cheese)
2. Only with cheddar cheese also one of my favorites.
3. And one sweet flavor that I like to make with peanut butter on the inside, and while they are still hot after baking, I roll them in sugar and cinnamon.
What to serve pretzel bites with?
- pretzel bites go good on it’s on with cheddar cheese as a game night snack with your friends
- I like my pretzels served on the side with Garlic Butter Salmon or with any other fish served
- as a healthier version, green yogurt goes perfectly as a simple dipping sauce for these pretzels.