If you want to give a Mediterranean touch to your roasted vegetables, then you are in the right place – this is the only recipe you should try! These Mediterranean roasted vegetables are packed with lots of different veggies and creamy protein yogurt glaze that you will get crazy for!
Creamy Mediterranean Roasted Vegetables
I was not a big fan of roasted vegetables, to be honest. And over the years of my cooking journey, I’ve made roasted veggies a couple of times, but it wasn’t something that I loved eating. A few months ago, while I enjoyed some homemade mousaka, I got inspired to create this recipe with the main purpose of avoiding the meat.
That’s how this recipe was born. I’ve prepared it a lot of times since then, and we all loved it. All these vegetables go perfectly combined. They melt in your mouth, which is not the case with the regular roasted vegetables.
I especially love this vegetable medley because of the flexibility of the veggies you can add inside. It’s perfect for a weeknight meal, and you won’t need a scale to measure anything. Just grab the ingredients, cut, pan-fry, roast, and then enjoy! This meal goes under the side dishes category, but I often like to serve it as the main dish as well. So when I get lazy to prepare a main dish to go along with it, I usually add some chicken or bacon and enjoy it as a main dish.
Ingredients and substitutes needed to make this roasted vegetable medley:
Although I believe that this is one of the best combinations that you can make, feel free to change a few ingredients, and adapt it to your own taste:
- Potatoes, it’s best if you use baby potatoes because they cook quicker.
- Carrots add sweetness to balance out everything.
- Broccoli florets
- Eggplant, you can switch the eggplant with peppers, which are similar in texture once cooked.
- Onion, don’t avoid the onion if you have it; it adds flavor and texture to this dish.
- Glaze: egg, greek yogurt (or sour cream), lemon, pepper, and salt
– sometimes I also like to add broccoli, brussel sprouts, or some peeled chopped tomatoes on top.
Quick steps on how to make this Mediterranean roasted vegetables recipe:
- Cut the zucchini, carrot, potatoes, and eggplant into cubes. Some smaller, some larger, so they can cook at the same time in the oven. Cut the onion into thin slices, season. Divide the veggies into 3-4 equal batches and roast each batch on high heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer into an ovenproof baking dish and roast for 20 minutes take them out of the oven every 15 minutes and quickly mix them. Repeat this process 3-4 times until the veggies are cooked and golden brown on top.
- Prepare the glaze and once the vegetables are soft and cooked, spoon it over the veggies, add the parmesan cheese, and roast for another 10 minutes.
Tips to make the best roasted veggies:
- depending on the texture, veggies need different time to cook, so make sure you cut them like on the instructions provided in the recipe
- don’t avoid pan-frying before roasting; it activates all the flavors and gives a special texture to the ingredients.
- you don’t have to follow the measurements on the recipe strictly; add as much or less of something that you like
- this is not a complicated dish, but I recommend closely reading all the recipe instructions so you can get a dish just like in this picture.
- When preparing the glaze, don’t mix the parmesan cheese in, instead great it on top once the glaze is added; this way, you will get way more color on top, and the baking process will be quicker.
What to serve with?
If you serve this as a side dish, it goes really well with meat like chicken, a slice of steak or I like serving it with my Mediterranean Garlic Butter Salmon.
If you decide to have it as a main dish, I usually prepare a big bowl of salad to go with it. It goes perfectly with arugula salad, with tomatoes, broccoli, and Italian seasoning. Or, if you want to make this meal even more Mediterranean in the summer, I usually serve it with my all-time favorite Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad.
Mediterranean Roasted Vegetables | Vegetable MedleyCourse: Sides, MainCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Medium
Creamy Mediterranean roasted vegetables topped with a delicious glaze of greek yogurt and some grated Italian parmesan cheese.
100g / 1/2 cup broccoli florets
8 baby potatoes
50g olive oil
2 tbsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
200g full-fat greek yogurt
5 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp dried parsley
- Preheat the oven to 410F/210C.
- Chop the vegetables and add them into a big bowl together.
- cut the zucchini into small cubes, cut it in half and then in half just through the middle in quarters, and then into cubes.
- repeat the same steps with the carrot, zucchini, and the potatoes
- cut the onion in half and then in small thin slices.
- Add the olive oil, salt, and pepper to the veggies and mix everything.
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Divide the veggies into 3-4 equal parts and fry each batch for 5 minutes, mixing every 40 sec to one minute, so the veggies do not burn.
- Transfer the veggies to an ovenproof dish, bake for 20 minutes, then take them out and mix them, bake for another 15minutes take them out of the oven, and mix again. Transfer them back to the oven and bake until all veggies are cooked and golden brown on top.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, add the egg, greek yogurt, lemon, garlic powder, and mix.
- Take the veggies out of the oven, spoon the glaze on top spreading it all over the veggies, grate the parmesan cheese, and add the dried parsley.
- Put the veggies back in the oven for another 10minutes or until the gaze starts getting golden brown on top.