This lemon rice soup is the perfect weeknight dinner prepared in around 30 minutes. It is especially great as the weather outside is getting colder, and something warm and refreshing would be much appreciated. It’s super creamy and lemony and loaded with several different veggies that go just perfect with the rice.
Vegetarian Lemon Rice Soup
At least for me, this is one of the easiest and most delicious soups of all time. It’s usually served hot, but the leftovers are just as good.
The traditional avgolemono soup is prepared with a whole chicken and chicken broth made from scratch or a leftover chicken cut on bites sized pieces. But I usually switch the chicken and load the soup with veggies and vegetable broth.
It’s super simple and light, and it’s especially good if you want to make something quick for dinner. It goes perfect served alongside some freshly baked breadsticks, crackers, or a slice of crunchy toasted bread.
If you’ve been craving a light, refreshing soup, then this is something that you should definitely give a try!
Why is this lemon rice soup so good?
- It’s perfect light weeknight dinner prepared with few simple ingredients
- It’s loaded with veggies, plus it’s lemony and refreshing
- It’s simple and quick to prepare
- Some people say it’s a great booster when fighting with colds and fever 🙂
Ingredients and substitutes used for this avgolemono soup:
This lemon rice soup is one of the quickest and easiest to make, plus the ingredients are simple, and you should probably have most of them in the fridge:
- Olive oil is the best, but it can be used any other oil that you prefer
- Grated or diced carrots
- Grated or diced onion
- Mini broccoli florets
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Risotto rice – make sure you use risotto rice for the best result because this rice will also thicken the soup; if you decide to use long-grain white rice, you might need to change the water measurements slightly.
- Vegeta – also known as vegetable stock powder/seasoning
- Salt, pepper, dried oregano, and parsley
What is Avgolemono sauce and how it’s made?
Avgolemono is the name of the sauce that this lemon rice soup is made of. The only three ingredients you would need to prepare avgolemono sauce are eggs, lemon, and warm broth.
How to make avgolemono sauce?
- In a medium bowl, whisk 1 egg until it gets smooth and no lumps appear.
- Squeeze juice from one lemon and add it to the egg.
- Slowly add 2 ladles of the boiling broth to the egg while constantly whisking to make sure that the eggs don’t get scrambled.
- Transfer the mixture back to the boiling pot, this time mixing with a spoon.
Tips to make the creamiest lemon rice soup of all time:
There are a few tips that I learned over time when making this soup that you are going to find beneficial especially if this is your first time making it:
- Make sure to add the rice once the water starts boiling, so it doesn’t stick to the pot’s bottom.
- Whisk the egg/s until the yolk and the egg white is completely creamy.
- Don’t add the eggs directly to the boiling water. In the eggs lemon sauce, slowly add 2 ladles of the boiling broth while constantly whisking to make sure that the eggs don’t get scrambled.
- If you make this vegetarian version of the lemon rice soup for flavor, make sure to use vegetable seasoning – Vegeta, or any other vegetable broth you prefer.
Creamy Greek Lemon Rice Soup |Avgolemono
- 80 g risotto rice
- 1000 ml water
- ½ onion
- 2 carrots
- 100 g broccoli
- 1 large egg
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp vegeta – vegetable stock powder/seasoning
- 3 tbsp olive oi
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Preheat the pot over medium heat and add the olive oil. Meanwhile, dice or grate the onion and the carrot.
- Add everything in the olive oil and fry for 4-5 minutes or until it’s reduced in size while mixing from time to time.
- Once the veggies are cooked, add the water in and wait until it starts boiling.
- Rinse and drain the rice, and once the water is boiling, add it in. Boil for 12-15 minutes.
- Chop the broccoli on mini broccoli florets. And boil them separately for 1-2minutes.
- In a medium bowl, add the egg and juice of one lemon, whisk everything well until the egg mixture is smooth.
- Slowly add 2 ladles of the boiling broth in the egg and lemon while constantly whisking. Once fully combined, add the eggs back to the chicken broth.
- Add the seasoning Vegeta, salt. Leave it to rest for 10-15 minutes, serve the soup in bowls, add the boiled broccoli, and parsley on top.