A healthier version of the famous french toast. Lightened-up with fresh and healthy ingredients and filled with hazelnut butter. The smell of freshly cooked, healthy french toast would gather everyone around the breakfast table in seconds.
STUFFED HEALTHY FRENCH TOAST RECIPE
Few simple substitutes make this french toast lower in calories and way healthier to eat. I switched the white bread with whole wheat bread, which makes it gluten-free. And added some protein that comes from the nuts filling and the egg. Plus, the sweetness comes from the maple syrup and some more hazelnut butter for dipping.
And with all this said, it really doesn’t need any additional sugars added.
What I especially love about this healthy french toast is that it’s flexible. So if some of these ingredients don’t work, you can switch with that you like better, like adding a different kind of butter or different topping etc.
What makes this french toast so good?
- It takes around 10 minutes to put together.
- It’s fully customizable and can be filled with whatever your heart desires ( of course, something healthy)
- Kids will love it. You can cut different shapes or slices, and they will be so excited to try them.
- You can have a sweet and savory version of the toast, depending on what you prefer to have for breakfast.
Ingredients and substitutes used for this healthy french toast!
- Whole-wheat bread is best for this recipe, but it can be substituted with any other gluten-free bread
- Low-fat milk or I also love to use coconut milk, which adds a lot of flavor to the toast, almond milk or oat milk are also great options to choose
- Plant-based butter, unsalted butter, coconut oil,
- Hazelnut butter used for filling substitutes: peanut butter
- Toppings: maple syrup, banana, fresh fruits (blueberries, raspberries), cinnamon.
How to make your healthy favorite french toast recipe:
Make a savory french toast
If you want to have something savory for breakfast, I’ve got you covered as well. There’s a savory version french toast version that you can make, and it’s as easy as the sweet one. Here’s how to make a savory french toast in three simple steps:
- Whisk the one eggs, add some salt and a 3 tbsp low-fat milk in there.
- In a nonstick pan, add some butter ( preferably plan based or low fat) and put the pan over medium heat.
- 1st option: dip each slice of bread in both sides in the egg mixture and fry on both sides for 1.5 minutes.
- 2nd option: take two slices of bread and add some cheddar cheese and ham on them, place the bread on top of each other, dip it in the egg mixture on both if the sides, and fry on both sides for 2 minutes.
If you want more spice – you can season with Vegeta (vegetable seasoning) and some freshly ground black pepper.
Different fillings and toppings to use for french toast!
French toast can come with different fillings and toppings. Everyone has their favorite, but here are a few that are a bit more nutritious and lower in calories than the regular french toast fillings:
- Peanut butter and freshly sliced banana filling with maple syrup or honey and cinnamon topping and some fruits by your choice, like blueberries, raspberries, etc.
- Spread strawberry jam the middle and melted nut butter of your choice as a topping.
- Hazelnut butter, slices of fresh strawberries, and banana filling – no toppings needed. 🙂
Stuffed Healthy French Toast RecipeCourse: BreakfastCuisine: FrenchDifficulty: Easy
Stuffed healthy french toast sticks lightened-up with fresh and healthy ingredients and filled with hazelnut butter, and dipping sauce.
8 bread slices
2 tbsp maply syrup
3 tbsp plant-based butter
4 tbsp hazelnut butter
4 tbsp maple syrup
4 tbsp ground nuts of any kind
1 tsp cinnamon
- In a shallow dish, whisk together eggs, milk, maple syrup, and cinnamon.
- Spread the butter evenly across the slices of bread. Place the other pieces of bread on top.
- Meanwhile, preheat a nonstick pan on medium heat and 1 add the butter, leaving the other for later.
- Add the toasts in the egg mixture, dipping them on both of the sides equally, making sure that the top and the bottom side are coated evenly.
- Once the butter has melted and starts to make bubbles add the french toast in and fry on one side until it’s golden brown – 3-4 minutes. Turn them on the other side and add the rest of the butter.
- In another shallow dish add the ground nuts and cinnamon. Once the sticks are baked immediately transfer them into the nuts and toss them in the nuts on all the sides.
- Add some more maple syrup or microwave some more hazlenut butter on top and enjoy!